Search this site:
My 10 Most Recent Posts
- Nibbles of Balsamea May 24, 2013
- Moose Scat May 23, 2013
- Last of the Snow Tracks May 23, 2013
- Spring 2013 – Early April May 18, 2013
- Get your own road, kitty May 8, 2013
- A word about Balsamea’s snowshoe paths March 28, 2013
- Balsamea Winter: daily walking snowshoe paths March 28, 2013
- Buddy, my canine companion March 23, 2013
- Your #2 is Our #1 March 22, 2013
- Ripple Variations | naturesnippets March 18, 2013
Recently caught my eye:
- Advice from Nature Mom and more May 20, 2013Take a “Signs of Fall” Walk | from the Nature Mom blog. This applies in any season, of course. See also Nature Mom’s posts about Signs of Spring. A quote from Nature Mom’s (Linda) post: Allow your child to lead the walk. Give them the space and time to discover Autumn [or any time] on […]
- Taking Action for George Washington National Forest & US Forest Service May 15, 2013Here’s something you can do to help leave the forests better than you found them. In this case, “better” would mean allowing the U.S. Forest Service to follow through on its proposal to protect the George Washington National Forest from toxic activity. In a situation like this, “better” may also mean our being better informed, […]
- .Announcing the Sylvabiota Honor Roll May 14, 2013In the Sylvabiota™ Honor Roll we express our special gratitude and respect for people and organizations whose efforts bring great value to our mission to always leave forests better than we found them, or who are themselves engaged in kindred ethics, measures and objectives that we find especially admirable, inspiring or helpful to our cause. […]
- Kids Discover the Forest May 13, 2013One of the most important things we can do to leave the forest better than we found it is to teach it to kids (and other adults). This will help to ensure that forests continue to be respected well beyond our tenure among them. I often feel that “I am my best person” when immersed […]
- Our Future Forest Stewards May 13, 2013A post packed with resource information on raising the next generation of people who will leave the forests better than they found them. Unplug the kids and turn them on to forest life. If you can’t pry them away from the computer, drag them to DiscoverTheForest.org, explore it with them, and THEN unplug the computer. […]
- Happy Mother's Day! May 12, 2013Reblogged from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Northeast Region: Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLyIlokg3us&feature=youtu.be I regret that this great post included no human mothers and children in nature.
- Aldo Leopold Quotes & Biography April 22, 2013We update this post as we come across Aldo Leopold quotes and information that we liked or used in the blog. For more information about Aldo Leopold, see: Wikipedia article on Aldo Leopold. Aldo Leopold Foundation Center for Humans and Nature Most recently added quotes are on top. “I have purposely presented the land ethic […]
- Carry Out, Carry Out April 22, 2013Here is a tip for how to leave the forest better than you found it, and to merge forest life into your life: Collect human artifacts from the woods! That is, always carry a trash bag and carry out something that somebody else carried in and left where it does not belong. A typical grocery […]
- Sylvabiota Launch on Earth Day 2013 April 22, 2013I have purposely presented the land ethic as a product of social evolution because nothing so important as an ethic is ever ‘written’… It evolves in the minds of a thinking community. -- Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There (1949) Sylvabiota™ is about forming a personal, family, group and community […]
- Advice from Nature Mom and more May 20, 2013
THEBALSAMEAN.COM (a.k.a. thebalsamean.wordpress.com) is a publication founded March 2, 2012 by its creator and owner, Dennis Koenig d/b/a The Balsamean, Saranac, New York.
Except for comments posted by visitors or where otherwise indicated, ALL CONTENT of this web site, thebalsamean.com, in all forms and delivered by any method is Copyright © 2012, 2013 by Dennis Koenig. All rights reserved.
"The Balsamean™" and "Scribblements from Balsamea™" are trademarks of Dennis Koenig.
For further information, see the Contact Me page to send me email.
Tag Archives: Weed control
It takes time to smell the roses! I suspect it will be a recurring theme in my scribblements, as it is increasingly recurring in my head: half the joy of a blessing is sharing it. That leaves me with a … Continue reading